This October residents are invited to join in with ‘Sew Spooky’ - a third in an annual series of Halloween-themed waste prevention activities. ‘Sew Spooky’ offers a whole host of activities giving you opportunities to make your own Halloween costumes or swap last year’s for something new! All in an effort to reduce the amount of costume waste at Halloween.
The project is in partnership with Hubbub and includes a range of different activities:
• Crafting sessions showing people how to make their own Halloween costumes, how to ‘repurpose’ existing clothes into new costumes and how to mend old costumes.
• Halloween costume ‘swishing’ (clothes swap) events giving people the possibility to find a Halloween outfit good as new!
• Pumpkin tasting where portions of pumpkin fudges be given away as well as tips and tools about ways to reduce food waste.
• Compost drop-off points, there will be a range of locations across north London where residents without their own compost bin, or food waste service, can take their pumpkin to be composted.
Find an event near you
• Islington, 10 am – 4pm on Tuesday 24 October at London Metropolitan University, The Rocket Bar, Holloway Road, London, N7 8DB - please click the link to register https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sew-spooky-tickets-38497022631
• Barnet, 10 am – 4pm on Thursday 26 October at Middlesex University, House, The Burroughs, London NW4 4BT – please click the link to register https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sew-spooky-tickets-38497205177
• Camden, 10 am – 4pm on Friday 27 October at University College London – North Cloisters, Wilkins Building, Gower Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1E 6HJ - please click the link to register https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sew-spooky-tickets-38497144997
• Waltham Forest, 6 - 9 pm on Sunday 22 October at The Hornbeam Café, 458 Hoe St, Walthamstow, London E17 9AH - please click the link to register https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sew-spooky-halloween-costume-making-workshop-tickets-38947686579
• Camden, 3 - 5pm on Monday 23 October at Little Hands Design Workshop, 67 Belsize Lane, NW3 5AU - please click the link to register https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/little-hands-design-halloween-crafting-workshop-tickets-38497815001
• Waltham Forest, 1 - 5pm on Tuesday 24 October at Pop Up Swap and Little Hands Design Workshop, The Hornbeam Lodge, Pimp Hall, Chingford, E4 - please click the link to register https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/halloween-crafting-workshop-and-swap-tickets-38497900256
• Hackney, 10am - 1pm on Wednesday 25 October at Mrs Bears Swap and Craft Guerrilla Workshop, Hackney Pirates, 138 Kingsland High Street, E8 2NS - please click the link to register https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/halloween-crafting-workshop-and-costume-swap-tickets-38497983505
• Enfield, 12 – 5 pm on Thursday 26 October at Pop Up Swap and Craft Guerrilla Workshop, Forty Hall Farm, EN2 9HA - please click the link to register https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/halloween-crafting-workshop-and-costume-swap-tickets-38502771827
• Haringey, 3 - 6pm on Friday 27 October at Pop Up Swap and Little Hands Design Workshop, Lordship Hub, N17 6NU - please click the link to register https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/halloween-crafting-workshop-and-costume-swap-tickets-38498165048
In addition, a competition has been launched calling college and university students to develop designs for Halloween costumes, which will be made from textiles that would have otherwise gone to waste. The most creative and resourceful design will receive a £200 prize and four runners up will each receive £50.
For more information on last year seasonal event please click here